1956 Triumph TR3
Original UK car; good running order; needs cosmetic TLC; use and improve
As a copy of the Heritage Certificate confirms, this TR3 is an original UK market car that was built in May 1956 and was originally Pearl White with a Geranium leather interior and a Fawn hood. The SJW 605 registration number indicates that it was first registered in Wolverhampton and a copy of an old V5 shows that it had one lady owner in Sutton Coldfield from 1989 – 2006.
Our vendor acquired the car in 2006, invoices showing that it was immediately treated to a brake overhaul with new front discs, reconditioned calipers, new hoses and new rear wheel cylinders. The clutch master and slave cylinders were also rebuilt and four new tyres were fitted along with a new battery and a new fuel pump, the recorded mileage at that time being 347.
The car was then put into storage as part of a collection of cars where it was to remain unused for the next dozen years. In 2019 it was recommissioned with an invoice on file for £2,479 which also included the fitment of a stainless steel exhaust, the odometer at that point showing 360 miles. Since then the car has only covered another 20 miles. In fact copies of seven old MOTs on file show that the car has only covered 370 miles since 1989.
Starting promptly and running nicely as we moved it around for these photos, it appears to be in sound but fairly scruffy condition all round, as can be seen in the photos, but could be used and improved over time as desired.
Long famed for their rugged reliability and idiosyncratic good looks, the 'sidescreen' TRs have attracted a fanatical following over the years.
Powered by a virtually indestructible 1,991cc 4-cylinder, wet-liner OHV pushrod engine, the gutsy TR2 was capable of a genuine 100mph. Not only that, in its 1954 road test, 'The Motorcar' praised Britain's lowest-priced ton-up car for returning 'astonishing fuel economy' of 34.5mpg over 1,904 miles.
The TR2 was replaced by the TR3 in 1955, now with 100bhp on tap (5bhp up on the TR2) and front disc brakes. Great fun to drive, its tough boxed-section chassis featured independent coil and wishbone front suspension, a leaf sprung 'live' rear axle and disc / drum brakes. Capable of sprinting to 60mph in just 10.8 seconds on its way to a top speed of 109mph, it was finally replaced by the more Italianate TR4 in 1961.
For more information contact James on 07970 309907 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
* All charges are subject to VAT